The Lab offers the following tests:
What is it? A Carotid Duplex Examination is an ultrasound test of the carotid arteries in the neck that lead to the brain. This study is used to detect a blockage or narrowing of the carotid arteries which may cause a stroke.
What can I expect during the examination? The Carotid Duplex Examination takes about 30 minutes. There are no special preparations. You should where a loose fitting shirt or blouse that does not have a high neck. You will lie on an exam table in a darkened room while the technologist performs the exam.
Your doctor will receive the test results in approximately 2 working days.
What kind of symptoms might I experience if there were a blockage in my carotid arteries?
There are several signs and symptoms that you may experience such as:
- Carotid bruit (a noise or murmur heard in the neck when your doctor listens to your neck with a stethoscope)
- Loss of balance Vertigo (dizziness)
- Aphasia (inability to speak)
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body
- Amaurosis Fugax (transient blindness in one eye)
- Syncope (fainting)